Getting your leadership team committed to a strategic planning session is a common concern. We have a few options that have worked for others.
We’ve listed them here in order of the shortest time investment to the longest:
- 3-minute Strategy Check
Send them this link to this 3-minute strategy check or better yet go through it as a group in your next leadership meeting: http://visionplatform.io/self-assessment
- 6-minute Video: Why Strategies fail
Send them a link to this or better yet go through it as a group in your next leadership meeting: https://visionplatforminc.com/smart-strategic-planning-video
- 30-minute Group Demo of Vision Platform with Q&A
Schedule a group demo here: http://visionplatform.io/schedule-demo
- 1-hour Strategic Check
This an engaging one-hour online meeting where the leadership team evaluates where they’ve nailed their approach to developing a strategy and where there is room for improvement.
See more information here: http://visionplatform.io/1-hour-strategy-check
If none of these seem like the right fit, please contact us directly. We’re happy to work with you to find the right fit. This is a hurdle we can help you overcome.
Chat with our founder: https://tinyurl.com/VPfounderchat
Email us: http://visionplatforminc.com/contact-us
Over 100 companies have been run through this method. Many with ridiculous case studies like this:
• Six Nines in just few months is set to grow by 278%
• IOpipe grew by 330% in five months
• nClouds doubled their staff and revenue in seven months.
• 289% growth in 10 months (Volant)
• 24% jump in sales in a saturated market with a well-trained sales team
• Jutstice and Soul Foundation wrote their entire business plan in one day
• k$6M because of the clarity they had.
Everyone who uses it is thrilled about recommending it.
We’re happy to give you contact information for references.
You can check out recent case studies here:
Companies who have used this method:
The failure of most business ideas, plans, or initiatives is due to a few factors which Vision Platform solves and traditional methods have not been able to solve. There are three main factors why traditional methods fail.
Most new initiatives fail because:
1) The core leadership team doesn’t agree on how they define their company, where they are going in the future, and what makes them the best choice for those who buy their products or services. Which means without the core leadership team in the room there will not be agreement and therefore no alignment throughout the company, which leads to failure on some level and wasted resources.
2) Traditionally, creating a vision takes too long (weeks or months) causing the issues or decisions to become fragmented in the minds of the leaders. We do it all in one day so the leaders can get their head wrapped around all the factors that need to be considered to create a solid vision. We need all the leaders in the room for that day.
3) The decisions about the company vision are not trusted (and therefore not followed) because they were not rigorously challenged when they were made. That’s why the leadership team in or method works until they all say yes to challenging questions at the end of each crucial decision before moving on. Without the core leadership team in the same meeting, there is no way to get everyone’s doubts or concerns on the table. Without creating a high level of confidence in the vision, the company will not choose to fallow it and instead many will wander off in other directions, wasting resources and creating failure on some level.
We solve the issues traditional methods can’t: create consensus, includes a solid position in the market, offers a dynamic way to manage the vision in a shifting market, the process requires authentic and specific conclusions, rapid vision generation.
Strategic planning made easy
Simple, proven workflow to follow, and you get a dedicated facilitator to ensure you stay on track. Reduce the number and length of meetings.
Instead of it taking six months (and $60K) we do it in ONE DAY!
Align your efforts. Start with consensus
The reason strategic vision is often not adhered to is the leadership team didn’t attain consensus, which means silos remain intact, creating fractures in execution.
High-performing employees understand how everyday tasks are tied to an inspiring vision. A clear, authentic, and relevant vision combined with our goal-setting and tracking method can empower and engage the entire organization.
Unique and compelling differentiator:
Traditional methods don’t include getting consensus around your differentiator. This has proven to be crucial for all business decisions and often farmed out to the marketing department or worse to an outside consultant, so there is no ownership among the leadership team. That can create disappointment because marketing, sales, customer service, and those who deliver are going in different directions and saying different things.
Timely course correction
Another reason executions are fractured is that once a strategy is created the market tends to keep shifting quickly, making the previous thinking outdated in just a few months. We make it easy to adapt your vision and execution plan. You will see all the philosophical dependencies as you update your vision. Your skill sets, buyers, partners, competition, or the market, will likely change often. Using our goal tracker you will review and re-set goals at a natural pace.
Mitigate risk around what’s getting done:
Have visibility into what is being accomplished as your org uses our goal tracker.
Authentic and specific vision:
Another reason executions fail is the vision is vague and generic (and not useful as decision-making criteria). You’ve all seen the mission paragraphs, values, and visions that sound like every other company. Blah, Blah, Blah. Many people roll their eyes at a traditional vision.
You will benefit from this workflow if you are unsure if you’re wasting resources and want to get the best results from your people.
Or if you want to:
• start a new marketing effort
• improve company culture making it easier to hire and retain talent
• get your leadership on the same page and executing efficiently
• set your company up to reach the next level
• transition from one leadership team to another
• raise money or expand partnerships
Use this quick check to see if you have already nailed it:
A business vision will define your organization in terms of
• Who you are
• Who you’re serving
• What makes you unique and easy to choose
• Why you’re doing what you’re doing
• Where you’re going in the future
The longer answer:
You will have consensus among your leadership team in about eight hours on all of these:
- Big goal (a company-wide stretch goal 5 to10 years into the future)
- Buyers, influencers, partners identified
- Buyer personas defined
- Buyer needs mapping
- Category of business
- Collective purpose (the organization’s ‘why’ or mission in a simple statement)
- Competitors: differentiator, strengths, weaknesses
- Organizational analysis
- Regions & industries: current and future possibilities
- Personality: cultural traits
- Value proposition (unique identifier)
- Trends & issues in the market
- Company values+ Strengths, Advantages, and Benefits: each strength expressed from buyer’s perspective
(we complete this as extra credit given time)
You can use any element you have confidence in and review at the opportune time in the workflow.
Many companies love the rigorous checks built into our process, which increases the confidence in what they already have in place. If you are absolutely set on a few of these elements, we can review what you have established and skip that exercise.
The other option is to plug in everything you have utilize the process be certain it can’t get any better.
Here’s a specific example:
Company values may have been set for decades and are serving the organization well. However, some leadership teams want to know they are as clear and accurate as possible. In that case, they may choose to review values and then double-check them against the rigorous set of questions built into the workflow.
We’re not a match if:
• You want to cluster power at the top.
• You’d prefer making random, subjective decisions.
• You’d rather be right than rich.
• You’re comfortable with ‘good enough’.
• Your ego is too fragile to be open to new ideas. Same for your core leadership team.
But if you and your leadership team are willing to start with ‘why’, then let’s work together.
Here’s the longer version:
Do not use this method if you believe:
If you clearly articulate and share a Vision Platform, all levels of leadership will be able to execute quickly. The downside is everyone from the top to the bottom will be working toward the same vision. This diversifies power, creates accountability, and may not be desired.
Many idea people feel limited by working toward tangible long-term goals. Sometimes entrepreneurs are not aware that their biggest strength as passionate idea people can also be their biggest weakness unless it’s subject to a little discipline. Our process offers a little discipline when it comes to choosing strategies and tactics.
Executing a loose plan can work if you have extra resources and you can afford to waste some. The waste often comes from executing based on vague guidelines rather than articulating crucial elements, making those elements available to the leaders company-wide, and having the confidence that no one is jumping to unsound conclusions.
Some leaders believe that being responsive to the market excludes them from following guidelines. Many have never seen how a flexible, yet focused, Vision Platform can fuel change rather than hinder it. Unless they are open to developing a dynamic Vision Platform, they might be correct.
This belief has created many non-repeatable success stories, leading to great ideas that are not subject to a larger Vision Platform, which in turn encourages random executions and false starts. Many companies are not aware of the benefits of combining a Vision Platform with business analysis and/or research.
The steps for developing your vision
1.) Signed contract and 50% deposit to hold date for work sessions
2.) Gathering collective knowledge
We need to work with someone to identify top trends and issues in your industry, your target audience(s), names of top competitors, identify the core leadership team, and the email addresses for those responding to surveys. This will prepare us so we can send out the surveys.
Initial online surveys
A.) Two weeks before our work session with your leadership team we’ll send out a link to the comprehensive online survey for up to five members of your core leadership team. It will likely take an hour to complete.
B.) We will also send an additional, short survey to up to five people who know your potential clients or organization well.
3.) Vision Platform onboarding session
We will meet for eight to ten hours to develop your platform. Your core leadership team will receive training and facilitation from a Vision Platform, Inc. expert, utilizing our Vision Platform Generator. (You will need to provide a conference room with a large monitor with audio to stream online video, a strong internet signal, and lunch.)
Those who attend the Vision Platform onboarding session are called the core leadership team. These are the people who make decisions that shape the soul of the organization. This is typically no more than seven people no matter how large the organization is. They all must attend the Vision Platform Generator session, but no others should attend.
The steps for sessions to execute the vision (optional)
4.) Strategic planning session
When everything is important, nothing is important. Organizations won’t execute well when they don’t prioritize well. The next step is a two- to three-hour strategic planning session based on the organization’s Vision Platform and facilitated by your dedicated expert. The same leadership team will prepare by filling out an online survey and then meet together to set their 3-year, 1-year, and 90-day goals, utilizing Vision Platform’s goal tracker.
5.) Momentum builder sessions
Business meetings are typically inconsistent and ineffective. Meetings that don’t resolve problems are a waste of time. Our momentum building method advocates that leadership teams must meet quarterly, enabling them to stay aligned around the three to seven most important priorities that must get done every 90 days. A Vision Platform expert will facilitate the first three sessions, ensuring the organization remains focused on the same vision, identifying and solving problems that may prevent success.”
What do we need to provide for the work sessions “We should have a conference room with normal conference table setting (not a u-shape or classroom style) reserved for up to ten hours in case we run over. Windows with an inspiring view can help everyone remain energized throughout the day. A location with no potential interruption is optimal, because we all need to be present for each section. If one of the core team needs to leave the room, we all need to stop and wait for that person to return.
The core leadership team needs to attend the entire work session because the workflow creates consensus around fifteen points that drive the company forward. If they aren’t all in the same meeting, you won’t have a consensus.
This means those who make decisions that shape the company must be in the room to create a solid vision the entire team will have confidence in. What we help them create will shape, not only the business direction, marketing, and sales, but will establish decision criteria for all aspects of the company.
1) Get your core leadership team in a meeting for eight hours and get clear on your vision
(the CEO can make this happen)
2) Continue to operate without alignment in the leadership team, which will likely waste a lot of time and resources.
3) Hire an outside consultant who will take six months and sixty grand to tell you who you are and what you should do—that way you only have to read the report in the end. But your leaders will not have ownership and will likely follow their own path. (Save your cash.)
Those that need to attend the Vision Platform onboarding session are what we call the core leadership team. These are the people who make decisions that shape the soul or foundation of the organization. This is typically no more than seven people no matter how large the organization is. They all must attend the Vision Platform Generator session.
Admittedly, this can be challenging. It’s the struggle with creating a smart business vision and an execution plan. You either get everyone involved or settle for less effective an more time-consuming results.
If you find it difficult to get them involved a one-hour evaluation may be helpful. Check out this option we offer:
This 1-hour strategy check reduces many conversations over months to one. Everyone will be on board or not!
We make it useful because it’s not the same old traditional approach. This took us 15 years to perfect. You will want to check out the “Why Vision Platform” page to see the senior people who have been through similar processes but who had an exceptional experience and results.
It’s a bonding, harmonizing, and inspiring experience. You will get all the major issues on the table and discuss solutions. You will leave equipped with decision-making criteria the leadership team agrees upon for your major hurdles.
We complete most of our sessions online.
However, if you desire an in-person session additional travel fees will apply depending on your location.
In addition to travel costs and arrangement, here’s a great checklist:
1) A large screen with an HDMI connection and audio with volume control
2) A strong internet connection (this is crucial)
3) Early access to the room with an available AV person to solve any potential issues
4) Lunch ordered in advance and delivered to the room for a working lunch
5) It would be smart to remind everyone they need to commit to the entire day, including a working lunch. There will be a few short breaks to return a call or email, but if a core leadership member needs to leave it may compromise the success of the time everyone else is investing.
If anyone on the core leadership team is choosing not to fill it out, they should make an informed decision. The risk of the core leadership team not completing the survey will be that we may not be able to finish in the time we have scheduled. This may incur additional cost to reschedule.
We can’t be sure it will work. It means the money back guarantee is void. 🙁
It’s typically avoidable. Let us help!